putting up new light fixtures

well it has been one HUGE DIY week for me and in truth, it will be a bit DIY year for us. We have so many projects. I wrote about them last week but we really got going this last weekend and have been working ever since. The big thing we did last week was change light fixtures and paint doors. I am still finishing up our black doors and will post those next week but some of our light fixtures are in and I thought I would show some fun pictures.

edison vintage bulb
edison vintage bulb at home depot
replacing a light fixture chandelier
replaceing an outdated light fixture
light fixture that is being replaced
kitchen light fixture to be replaced
putting up the new pendant light
putting up the new pendant light
securing the new light fixture
wiring the new light fixture
wiring the new light fixture
wiring the new light fixture
painting the fan
painting and updating an old fan
painting and updating fan
painting and updating an old fan
new fan in living room
new fan in living room
new fan in living room with bare bulbs
new fan in living room with vintage bulbs
taking off the ugly globes on a fan
taking off the globes on a fan
ok so to explain what the pictures are, our living room chandelier was nauseating. It wasn't ugly but it definitely didn't fit with jared and my style and it was in the middle of the kitchen and just felt heavy and overbearing. I don't have any amazing pictures of the final product (they are coming as soon as the kitchen remodel is done) but we took the chandelier down, and put up a light minimal pendant which I love with an old edison bulb so it looks just fantastic. We got all of this at home depot.

Next to the fan, the fan was an outdated wood with glass domes over the lights. I didn't have the budget to replace the fan so I took the globes off and just let the bulbs be bare which I really like now and then I painted the fan shades black rather than the brown color they were. (they were the color of the little pulleys you can see--I will probably paint those two). I didn't realize it would make that big of a difference but it does! it just looks so much better.

for those who are wanting to change their light fixture, be sure to turn off the power. that is number 1! then, look up instructions online or in a pamphlet if it's a new fixture. They often come with them. I am not an electrician and while we have changed quite a few, I don't want to give you the wrong advice. What I will say is that if you follow the instructions and turn off the power, you can do change the light fixture without too much worry. It's good to have 2 people to do it, especially if it's a heavy light fixture you are taking down or replacing it with. You simply match the wires together and put it back in. Ussually the copper wires are the ones that need to be twisted together, here is a great tutorial on how to change a light fixture.

if you are interested in my fan updates, this cost me next to nothing! I bought a can of black spray paint and that's it! I simply took the glass globes off of the lights and then took the fans off and painted them and put them back. I am so happy with the results! :)

 

AddThis