rain gutter garden


Alternative Garden Ideas

it wasn't more than a few months ago when I stumbled upon a rain gutter lettuce garden. (link to it) A lady from from alaska tried growing lettuce in a rain gutter that she attached to her siding and she was very successful at it. I was completely intrigued and fascinated by the thought. I also had been really wanting to start up gardening so, I did.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased 2 10 ft. pieces of siding from Home Depot. (this definitely is a 2 person job and I should give my husband credit for really taking charge of this). We measured where we were going to put it and then we drilled holes in the bottom of the gutters so that the water would drain out.
We then drilled them into the siding. This took a little bit of effort and patience because we wanted it to be straight and fit right but it wasn't too complicated.

We then planted the lettuce. I was so nervous as I watered my lettuce every day hoping I would have some sprouts and a few days ago, this is what I found! a few sprouts. :) I will keep you posted as they grow.

Catch a Glimpse ButtonAnything Related
HookinupwithHoHnew2.png


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great! Kudos to you for actually making a project you found on the internet instead of just drooling on your computer screen like me! HA!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

That's an interesting idea. I don't think I've ever seen it before. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today. The bathroom we remodel is actually our "big" bathroom. The other one is about the same sq footage but is filled with a larger vanity and a bathtub. :)

Shaylynn said...

That's a brilliant idea!!!

Lisa said...

How interesting! This is such a cool idea! I hope you get lots of lettuce this season! : )

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

What a neat idea! I think I might steal that for our herb garden. It doesn't take up much space and it keeps if off the ground so I don't have to keep chasing the dogs away. Thanks for sharing!

Kristen said...

So creative! I love it!

Kristen
Turning a House into a Home

Michelle said...

So creative! This would look cute with flowers too. I'd love for you to come link up this and any other projects you have at DIY Thrifty Thursday @ Thrifty 101! http://thrifty101.blogspot.com/2011/05/diy-thrifty-thursday-14.html
~Michelle

colorchic said...

Very Clever!Thanks for visiting Color Chic!

Beth @ Free Stylin' said...

Such a great idea! I want to get started in gardening, and the possibilities with this rain gutter garden are endless. LOVE it!

Unknown said...

I love this idea. I can't wait to see how it works out for you, so I can do it next year. We rent so a big garden is not a viable option.

Atticus F said...

This is an excellent idea, and is something I think I'll be trying soon. Thanks for sharing!

AddThis